Tuesday 12 June 2012

Quirky Quinoa Sushi


This is simply an alternative to the usual sushi made with rice. Instead I decided to try making it with quinoa due to the many wonderful health benefits it contains. I didn’t use any sugar or rice vinegar which made it healthier but also less sticky so cutting the roll had to be done with extra gentleness. You can always add the rice vinegar and sugar if you wish.

What you will need:

ANYTHING YOU WISH! The great thing about sushi is you really can use anything and make any variety of rolls you like. I made mine with cucumber, carrot, capsicum, avocado, egg and some tuna dip that I already had in the fridge from yesterday’s lunch.

First thing you will need to do is cook the quinoa. Place 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups of water in a saucepan and cook like rice for about 20 minutes. Don’t let it get to dry as you want it a bit mushy so its sticks to the seaweed. Once it is ready transfer it to a bowl to cool.


You will need to cut up the veggies of your choice finely which you can prepare while your quinoa is cooking.


I also added an omelette to my rolls which tastes great, adds some extra  protein and looks pretty too with the waves of different colours. To make the omelette I simply beat 2 eggs with a pinch of salt. I then fried it in a large fry pan so it was nice and thin. Cook for a minute then flip so it is dry on both sides. I then took it off the heat and cut it into a square shape.


I then put a piece of seaweed onto the sushi mat, lay then omelette on top and covered with quinoa, once it had cooled down. I put a fairly thin layer of quinoa and patted it down so it was flat. Make sure the qunioa goes right to the edges so you can stick the edge down when rolling. I then added then veggies in the centre and put down a layer of the tuna dip (which was just canned tuna, bit of mayonnaise and salt). Finishing off by drizzling a bit of sesame oil over the veggies as I just love the flavour!






















 Then you are ready to roll. Roll the bottom of the seaweed up over the filling and press down. Then continue rolling so it looks like a log.





 Once it is in the shape of a roll you can cut it into piece and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment