Wednesday 13 June 2012

Naturally Nourishing Buckwheat Porridge


This morning I headed down to the kitchen but just could not decide what to have for breakfast. What I could decide was that I needed something warm and nourishing on this chilly morning. Luckily I spotted a packet of buckwheat porridge hidden in the corner of the pantry and immediately knew it would hit the spot.

Buckwheat porridge is a great alternative for those gluten intolerant people who can’t eat oats, or for anyone who just wants to try something different. You can buy it from the healthfood store or make it from scratch using buckwheat kernels.  This morning I was too hungry to make it from scratch so I used the packeted version.

I placed 1 cup of water on the stove and brought it to the boil. Once boiling I added 1/3 cup of buckwheat, turned down the heat and covered it letting it cook for about 10 minutes or until all the water had dissolved and there were little pock marks at the top of the buckwheat. Once the water had dissolved I added 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and some almond milk to add more of a creamy texture. I stirred until the milk had dissolved and I had the not too runny porridge that I prefer.

In my bowl I also added a tablespoon of LSA meal for extra protein and fibre, a sprinkle of cinnamon, some sliced banana and honey.  There you have it a highly nutritious, gluten free porridge that will definitely warm up your insides.


No comments:

Post a Comment