Sunday 12 February 2017

How to beat Mondayitis!




 
I truly believe that if you start your day off in the right way, then the rest of the day is much more likely to be successful. The way you begin your day maps out how the rest of your day will pan out. If you snooze until the last minute, telling yourself how tired you are and that the last thing you feel like doing is getting up and going to work, you then frantically jump out of bed and rush to get out the door, grabbing a coffee on the way and arriving at work a mixture between your half asleep self and your stressed/ rushing self you surely are not setting yourself up for the best day possible. You have already had a lot of negative self-talk, you have already started off being stressed before even getting to work and you surely haven’t provided your mind or body with adequate nutrition to get you through the day.

As my dad always preaches, Tom Ferry (Motivational speaker and real estate coach) always says that to be a successfully person you must have an exceptional morning routine (and unfortunately this half asleep rush out the door is not what he would call an EXCEPTIONAL morning routine).

So this I suppose is not just my tips for beating Mondayitis but actually my tips for staying positive, energetic and successful everyday. Monday just seems to be the day people struggle most.

1. Start your day with some positive self-talk. Get into the habit of shutting off the ‘I cant be bothered to go to work’, ‘I’m tired and just want to stay in bed’, ‘I wish it was still the weekend’ jibber jabber. First of all this is simply not productive, it puts you in a bad mood from the get go and secondly if you really hate your job that much maybe you should actually start looking for something that would make you feel more excited and fulfilled. I mean this is what you spend the majority of your time doing so if it truly is making you miserable then start looking for something that wont. However, if you are just in the habit of this negative self-talk lets swap it out for some positive affirmations. Once your alarm goes off, GET UP! Choose an affirmation or two that resonate with you and go say them aloud in the mirror. Here are a few examples of my favourite affirmations. You can use these or create your own.

‘I am totally calm’
‘I love myself deeply and unconditionally’
 ‘The future is good. I look towards it with hope and happiness’
 ‘My self esteem is high because I honour who I am’
‘Amazing opportunities exist for me in every aspect of my life’
‘I am excited about today’
‘I am a powerful creator. I create the life I want’

2. Make yourself a hot water with 1-teaspoon apple cider vinegar or the juice of half a lemon. This drink had first thing in the morning helps to kick-start you digestive system and metabolism. If the sun is out try going outside and appreciating the beauty of nature, soaking up some vitamin D for the 5 minutes it takes to have this drink. This is one of my favourite morning rituals, which always leaves me feeling so at peace and ready for my day. 

3. Make sure you have a nutritious breakfast. I won’t go on the usual ‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ rant but I certainly know from personal experience the difference I feel within myself if I have a healthy, well-balanced breakfast compared to either skipping breakfast or having something naughty. Some healthy breakfast suggestions include:
·       Porridge with banana, nuts and seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon
·       Chia pudding made the night before with berries and yogurt
·       Toast with almond butter
·       Omelette with spinach, avocado and tomato
·       Smoothie with 1 banana, handful berries, green veggies or a green powder blend or fresh greens, 1 tablespoon of LSA mix (linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds), scoop of protein powder or handful of nuts, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and almond or coconut milk.
·       2 eggs scrambled with a side of mushrooms and avocado

4. Certain supplements can help provide you with energy for the day. My top recommendation for a morning supplement that will give you some energy, support your nervous system so you don’t feel as stressed throughout the day and help you concentrate and perform to your best ability at work is a Vitamin B complex. Getting some good quality B vitamins can be a lifesaver if you live a busy lifestyle (as most of us do). Only disclaimer is that they will make your urine a fluorescent yellow so don’t freak out! If the B’s don’t give you all the energy you need a CoQ10 supplement can also be a good companion when it comes to energy production.

5. If you don’t have a job that demands you to be there super early then getting some movement into your day first thing is one of the best ways to wake yourself up, to feel energised and positive. Exercise is one of the best ways in general to improve energy and positivity levels, so getting moving first thing in the morning definitely kick starts your day in the right direction. This can be whatever suits you. I like to do some yoga, particularly sun salutations first thing, also going for a walk or a run or even just some skipping in your living room to get your heart rate up.

If you create an exceptional morning routine that really suits you, nourishes your mind, body and spirit it will definitively get you off to the best possible start to your day and week. You will wake up excited to get moving as the start of your day is simply you doing some things that you love and that you know will leave you feeling great.

If you already have a morning routine that’s working for you I would love to hear what it is!


Dionne xx

No comments:

Post a Comment