Thursday 5 February 2015

Back to school!


So the new school year has begun. No matter what year you are going into, whether it be prep or year 12, starting a new year can be a bit daunting. I remember crying to my dad the day before school started each year as I was worried that the year to come would be so much harder than the year that had past. I look back and laugh now, when I remember how terrified I was to start grade 4 as someone had told me that it was much harder than grade 3. And you know what, despite all my worries every year was fine and I managed to get through them all.
Now for me all I needed was to get back into my routine and I was fine. A few days after school had begun I had forgotten all my fears and was just happy to see my friends. It is usually the fear of the unknown that is the worst. I tell this story to many of my clients to help reassure them that it is completely normal to feel nervous about starting something new. However, every single one of us has managed to get through it so it really can’t be that bad.
For those of you that get extremely anxious about starting school and simply talking about it isn’t enough to calm you there are a few things you can do to help yourself relax.
1.     Rescue remedy. This flower essence is excellent for calming the nerves. You can take it to school and when you start to feel anxious simply take a few drops. It also comes in pastille form so if you dont want people to know what you are taking, eat a pastille and they will just think it is a lolly. You can take it every time you start to worry and it is great for calming you down.
2.     Deep breathing. Deep breathing is one of those tools that is great to learn from a young age. It can be done anywhere, anytime and helps the nervous system to immediately relax. If you feel unsettled go to the bathroom and while sitting on the toilet take a few deep breaths. Practicing this several times a day can make a huge difference in reducing stress.
3.     Hold your thumbs. I practice a form of body work called Jin Shin Jyutsu (you can read about it on my website www.dionneshalit.com). In this form of Japanese body work the thumbs represent worry and well as the stomach. That is why babies suck their thumbs, it helps them to relax and digest. So if you are the type of person that gets a tummy ache when you are nervous this one is especially good for you. All you need to do is hold your thumb with the opposite hand. It is the easiest method to use because no one can even tell you are doing it. You can hold your thumb in class while the teacher is talking, at home while you are watching TV or in the car on the way to school. If you can hold each thumb for about 5 minutes a few times a day you will really notice your worries dissipating.
If these techniques are not helping of your anxiety is very severe I do suggest that you go and talk to a healthcare practitioner so a treatment plan can be tailored especially for your needs. But if it’s simply a niggling fear about starting something new, give these a go. I would love to hear which one works best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment