So I thought I would explain some of these less common super berries and what all the hype is about.
1. Goji berries have been around for quite a while now. Originally they were the berries to eat due to their high antioxidant properties. They are native to the Himalayan region of China and Tibet. They contain high amounts of Vvitamin C, beta carotene, amino acids, iron and B vitamins.
2. Go to a trendy café now days and you are sure to find an Acai bowl on the menu. This berry is native to the rainforest of South America. They are full of antioxidants, fiber and healthy fats. Plus they are a magnificent purple colour!
3. Maqui berry is another beautiful purple berry that is found in Chile. They contain vitamin C, calcium, iron and potassium, anthocyanins and polyphenols, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
4. Noni Berry comes from the tropical areas of the South Pacific where the locals have used them to treat a myriad of health complaints. People often buy the juice as a general tonic. It contains vitamin C, niacin (vitamin B3), iron and potassium, with lesser amounts of vitamin A and calcium.
5. The acerola berry, which is native to South America, has one of the highest vitamin C contents. There are 1677.6 mg of vitamin C in 100 g of fruit which is about 9 times the amount found in oranges.